Former Charterhouse pupil who plunged to death on ski holiday ‘had taken designer drug Dr Death’

A skiier found at the bottom of an icy 300ft rock face had traces of a designer drug dubbed ‘Dr Death’ in his system, an inquest heard.

Myles Robinson, 23, died of multiple injuries including a severe head trauma after a night out drinking with friends.

His body was found in Wengen, Switzerland, six days after he disappeared and he was missing his shoes and a sock.

Myles had spent the evening with his sister and close friends drinking and chatting – but after dropping a family friend off outside her hotel he was never seen again.

After his body was discovered extensive police enquiries were made to rule out any sort of foul play – including murder, kidnap or assault.

But both Swiss and British police found there was an ‘absence of information’ and no proper conclusions could be made about why or how he made the 25 minute journey from his resort to the place of his death.

After leaving Ms O’Brian at her hotel at around 2.50am, Mr Robinson’s phone made a call to a friend’s number at 3.26am.

But the call never connected, and as it was to the first person listed in his directory it has always been put down to an error.

His family’s apartment, where his parents and sister Cara were sleeping, was near by, but Mr Robinson failed to arrive back.

Myles, who went to Charterhouse School and Newcastle University, was last seen at the Blue Monkey bar in Wengen and went missing from his hotel in the early hours of December 22 2009.

A post mortem examination was carried out in Switzerland and then a second examination was done at St George’s Hospital in southwest London by Dr Nathanial Carey.

The pathologist said: ‘I found multiple injuries on the external surfaces of the body, the head, neck, trunk, upper and lower limbs of the body.

‘Internally there were extensive signs of injury with widespread fractures of the limbs, of the spine of the kind that you would expect in a substantial fall.’

The doctor said due to a very serious head injury Myles would have ‘survived only a very short period of time, probably only seconds’ after the fall.

According to a toxicology report he had consumed more than two and a half times the legal limit of alcohol on the night of his death.

A faint trace of designer drug para-Methoxyamphetamine was also found in his system.

The drug, commonly known as PMA or Dr Death, is described as a ‘mind altering substance’.

Dr Carey said the report from the Swiss authorities showed only an ‘indication of a presence’ of the drug.

He added: ‘This is unsatisfactory because it doesn’t say it is definitely present.’

Coroner Dr Paul Knapman added: ‘Just because someone had a drug doesn’t mean they voluntarily took it.’

He said there was a possibility Mr Robinson, who studied business and economics, had his drink spiked.

DSI Jill Bailey, from the Met Police’s Homicide and Serious Crime Unit, said there was no definite conclusion that could be found from all the investigations.

‘There is an absence of information to point us in one direction or another,’ she said.

‘One of the search teams did go to the top of the area (where he was found) and they found it was particularly icy and dangerous and had to use ropes to secure themselves.’

Recording an open verdict, coroner Dr Paul Knapman said: ‘It seems to be that the most likely explanation is an accident but other possibilities have not been totally explained.

‘This is a terrible tragedy of a young man with every expectation of a happy and successful future in front of him, dying suddenly in these circumstances.’

The coroner said there were no signs of suicide or of anything sinister – but that if any other evidence came to light it should be referred back to the Swiss authorities.

Speaking after the inquest Cara Robinson, 27, said: ‘He was just a really outgoing, bubbly, lively, sporty, young fun kid to be around.’  Describing Myles’ mood before his death, she added: ‘He probably couldn’t have been happier. It hadn’t been a very easy time to get a job and he had got his first job and couldn’t wait as the next stage of his life was about to start.’

Her mum, care assistant Sarah, said: ‘We went skiing pretty much every year. He had been skiing since he was four.

‘He loved sport, it was his big thing in his life.’  The family said they ‘totally agreed’ with the coroner’s open verdict.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s